Wednesday, January 27, 2021

(1977) One-Upmanship *****

 



With: Steve Lacy (soprano saxophone), Manfred Schoof (trumpet), Mal Waldron (piano), Jimmy Woode (bass), Makaya Ntshoko (drums)
Record date: February 12, 1977


One-Upmanship was the first pre 1963 Mal Waldron album I heard and I fell in love with it immediately. It was the period that, as a listener, I was broadening my horizons trying out some free jazz records. I knew Lacy for it, Mal was still not very well known to me. I was stunned: I never heard a pianist play like this. But also the compositions: I never heard anything like them. They were loud, dark and catchy. Almost funky at places but not the funkiness you wan’t to dance to. I just wanted to sit down and listen. I still regard it as one of my all time favorite jazz albums.

The opening title song sets the tone for the rest of the album: it’s a typical Waldron composition and starts with a catchy theme after which the band slowly fades away and a huge space is created for Lacy’s solo. Lacy is playing a bit more inside than on the America or Victor release but he still surprises with the most strange sounds coming out of his horn then returning back to chord changes or playing with the blues. After his solo the band comes back again with a bridge and then it’s Schoof’s turn to play. And hell he does play a pretty good solo. The sudden break shows the more emotional and calm side of Waldron playing nothing but beautiful notes.

Following up is another Waldron classic, recorded here for the first time. It’s one of Mal’s key compositions, also one of the warm and calm ones. The music has been in my head since I heard it for the first time. The theme hints a bit of classical music but is mostly a very clear description of the Norwegian town of Kristiansund on a cold autumn day. Such atmospheric music. Lacy’s first to solo and as much as he can play beyond the boundaries of jazz he could also play the most beautiful breathtaking notes within those same boundaries. He could play in the highest registers of the instrument and still make it sound beautiful. And there’s also a kind of distance and coldness in his play which funny enough makes it even more beautiful. Mal’s solo is one of simplicity, but he doesn’t play one wrong note. He gently follow’s the changes like the seagulls float in the salty sea air.

The final composition is another Waldron classic: Hurray for Herbie. Not in it’s first appearance on record but it was a studio first time. It starts of with it’s recognizable almost majestic theme. Mal plays a very intense and repetitive solo. As he mentioned himself: “I’ll take two or three notes and really try to milk them dry before I move on to the next two or three notes”. And Mal is a perfect example of all the possible fascinating combinations that are possible with only three or four notes. It makes him the unique pianist he is in jazz, quite the opposite of such a lot of other pianists in those times.

One-Upmanship is one Mal’s better known recordings so it’s not very hard to obtain a copy. If you buy the vinyl version you got the three tracks described above. If you buy the 1998 cd version you get three bonus tracks that were also on the original “Moods” LP. They were from a different session and I will review them with that album. You should get this CD issue especially if you do not own the original Moods LP as 2 of them do not appear on the Moods cd reissue. And those tracks are definitely worth it. One of my first Mal Waldron ‘loves’ and probably one of his best studio albums with one of his strongest groups, One-Upmanship is a must have. Not only for a Mal Waldron fan, but for every jazz aficionado. This is truly essential ’70’s jazz.

3 comments:

  1. Hi.
    I have this on cd. I have to say that in the first few listens I was baffled by the mix of quintet songs and solo piano songs. Then I got used to programming them in two blocks and often doing without the solo piano ones and listening made sense.
    A really great record.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To me the piano tracks are nice breaks but I could imagine that some people found them a bit unnecesary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The solo tracks on some versions of the One-Upmanship CD reissue are from the original LP edition of Moods. Also on some CD versions of Moods we have some solo tracks from the original Moods LP.

    ReplyDelete