Monday, May 10, 2021

(1988) Tom Mega - Backyards of Pleasure *

 


Record date: April 6, 1988

There's not a lot of information to find about Tom Mega. Apparently he had been a bit of a naughty boy using lots of dope and being locked up in prison in the 1970's. He's a German singer who recorded several albums before he passed away in the year 2000. I was in doubt if I was going to review this record for this music is just really not my cup of tea. But hey: if one is about to review ALL of Mal's work post 1964, one cannot skip this one of course. I decided to stay as neutral as I could be, listening with open ears and an open mind. But this stuff is just going too far for me and Mal is nothing but a session musician anyway here.

What to expect? Expect heavy outdated '80's synths and keyboards and a ditto outdated sound. The music is rock oriented with a pretty obvious pop twist. Tom Mega is probably a bit influenced by Bowie and Tom Waits but doesn't reach those levels by far. He has a very thick and bit laughable German accent. None of the session musicians sound challenging or inspired anywhere and there space is very limited. So is Mal. I don't why he decided to collaborate for this recording. Was he openminded, in need of money or did he had contractual obligations with ITM? I don't know and just wish to forget this whole record. If you want to complete your Mal Waldron collection like I did: it's cheap and available. And so does it sound.


No comments:

Post a Comment