Friday, May 14, 2021

Taking a small break


143 albums! That's a lot of reviews and a lot of music. But in no way it could be the end of this project that I highly enjoy doing. From the start at the beginning of this year until now (half May): I have enjoyed every second of it. Mal has done so many things, with so many great musicians. He managed to keep surprising me in a very enjoyable way until the last record reviewed. I truly feel he deserves the attention he's getting here and hope that people keep on exploring his music despite the fact not a lot of it is reissued or released anymore. 

I finished my first goal: reviewing all of his work post 1964 as a leader, co-leader and a sideman. But it does not feel good to stop here. Yet I have to take a small break. Time really is a thing nowadays, busy with all kinds of things. So what's the plan for the future of this blog? Some idea's: reviewing his work as a leader and co-leader pre 1964, reviewing all his appearances on VA releases like the stuff at Jamboree in 1966, and his appearances at multiple jazz festivals. I am also busy writing a compact yet pretty expanded biography but I am mostly struggling getting information on his later years (from the '70's). Plus I want to try get people who knew or played with Mal contributing to my blog again. Unfortunately contacts with George Haslam and Nicolas Simion faded and Reggie Workman did not wish to contribute. But I will keep on trying!

I mostly want to thank all of the reader's of my blog. Though there aren't a lot of replies here on the blog, I received lot's of them on other websites. Google analytics pointed out that from the month March I had around 50 to 100 readers a day during the week and between a 100 and 200 a day in weekends! That really exceeded every expectation. Thanks for all your kind replies, helpful answers and encouragements: it made it so easy to keep on going. When I continue, I will let you know. And thank you Tom van Overberghe and David Friesen for contributing to my blog. 

For all people who want to explore the music made by this fantastic and legendary pianist, for now these links might help you out:


 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks a lot for all the great work. It is very useful and as a Waldron lover I appreciate very much your blog. Keep it up :-)

    ReplyDelete